Sunday, March 15, 2009

Artisan Bread...crusty bread...whatever you call it's GOOD

My sister in law Heather has been making this amazing Artisan bread for a while that we all love. She posted the recipe on her blog and it is seriously the easiest bread to make. And so yummy.

Then not a week later my friend Amelia said she had a great new Artisan Bread recipe too. So I got that recipe.They're almost exactly the same, except the one from heather takes 12-18 hours (totally worth it!) and the one from Amelia takes closer to 3 or so. So we experimented, and combined certain aspects of each recipe...and this is the recipe/technique we use at our house. YUM!

Artisan Bread (makes one loaf)

3 Cups Flour
3/4 Tablespoon Yeast

3/4 Tablespoon Salt
1 1/2 Cups warm water


Mix together, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 3 hours (longer if you want, or need)

With Olive Oil on your hands and counter take the dough (which will be gooey and sticky) and form into a round/circular loaf and place in a *round casserole dish with lid(if you spray it with cooking spray it comes out of the pan even easier).
Cover and bake at 450 for 30 minutes. Take the lid off and bake for another 15 minutes.


Let it cool so it's easier to cut and enjoy. Don't forget the butter :)


*I've also done it on a pizza stone, and it works fine. Just bake it for 40-45 minutes if you do it this way.


The olive oil seemed to make a big difference in the crust to me as opposed to using flour when forming the dough.

We're having some with dinner. We love it, and we hope you do too!

6 comments:

Maren and Ryan Meldrum said...

hey kizzie, that bread looks amazing! Question...how do you do the digital scrapbooking? I downloaded some program once and it was seriously confusing, so I'm thinking you use something better. I have a bajillion pictures, but I just don't have the time to put them all on cd and spend an hour in walmart printing them off nice and then still have time to lay them out beautifully on paper and what not. ANYwho...let me know :)

Unknown said...

Looks good! My Mom has been making a white wheat artisan bread for a while now too, but I forget or am too tired to start it the night before and it also needs like 15 hours to rise. I love that you don't need to knead these breads though, so sometime I'll make it!

Chiemi said...

Wow Kizzie! That looks so yummy. I am so totally going to be trying this recipe out. Thank you!

Rebecca Blevins said...

Ditto to what Karen said. The picture looks oh, so tasty!

Aimee said...

Looks yummy. :)

I need to try all your recipes :)

EMILY said...

So, you don't knead the dough? that is so weird! it looks so yummy and crusty. i am making lasagna tomorrow and this looks like it will go great with it. is it chewy inside? how big is the casserole dish you use?
emily (earlgirlem on MC)