Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TTA - What's in a name?

The TTA topic for this week is "What's in a name", the story behind your name (and/or your kids), and why it was chosen. So here goes.

Keziah Marie - I'm named after my 3rd (or 4th...?!) great grandmother, Keziah Nason. And my great aunt Edna Marie.
When my Mom was pregnant with my older brother she had a dream that she was going to have a little girl named Keziah, so she thought that this baby (my brother) was Keziah...but he was born a boy, so that didn't work out so well. So she knew I was coming, a long time before I was born.
I've mostly gone by Kizzie my whole life though, I think my Grandma Hoyle started calling me that. My Mom didn't want me called Kizzie because it's the name of the girl on Roots who spit in her masters water, maybe there was more to it than that. But she didn't get her way, and I've gone by Kizzie forever. It's fun the response I get from some people about my name, I had one very nice black gentlemen exclaim "Girl, how'd you get a black name?!", and I always get the Roots comments, or the people who plain ol' just can't say it!

As for Marie, the story I've always heard is that my gr. Aunt Edna once complained that no one was named after her (no offence to any Edna's out there...but it's not exactly on the tip of my list for girls names!), so my Mom decided to give me her middle name. I think she was pretty happy about it, I have a silver bowl from her that is inscribed "To Keziah Marie, from Aunt Edna Marie".

Avery Nason - I've always liked the name Avery, it's my grandma's maiden name. I think a couple of my other siblings had their eye on the name as well, so I knew I had to use it as soon as we had a kid. When I found out I was pregnant with Avery I told Andy that I liked the name, and I was actually a little surprised that he liked it a lot too! (We have a hard time agreeing on names!) I thought it was a great name for either a boy or girl, so we decided that whatever the baby was it's name was Avery. It didn't seem like a very common name 2 years ago, but now my little boy will grow up with a bunch of girls named Avery! :)

His middle name is Nason (most people think I'm saying Mason, I'm not.), which coincidentally, is also a surname in my family. He and I get to share a namesake. Keziah Nason.
There's not really a story there, we like to use names from our families, and since Avery is the 25th (I think) grandkid on my side of the family lots of names are taken, so we really have to look hard. I thought it would be neat to name him after the same person I am named after, so in a round about way he's named after me too! :)

I just love his name, and I love that we were able to use two strong family names. I love when names have meanings behind them, it makes them so much cooler and more special, to me.

As for this new little boy...he doesn't have a name yet. We've tossed around a few ideas, but as I mentioned before...a lot of names in the family have been used! So we're having to think HARD. I know I don't have to use family names, but for some reason I feel a little guilty, and like I'm doing something naughty when I consider a name that has no family connection! And especially since Avery has an ultra family name!
We have a name we like...but it's a secret until we decide if it's "the one"...so stay tuned! : )

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Interesting. I'd wondered about your name when I added you to the TTA group.

Unknown said...

Very cool Kizzie! I love the story behind both your names. My side of the family has a long running tradition of pulling first names out of nowhere and carrying family names for middle names, so that's basically what we did with Gideon. Names are fun!

Laura said...

When I was about 7 I read a book called "Gypsy Girl" by Rumer Godden. The main character is a gypsy girl called Kizzy. Whenever I see your name it brings back those memories of reading that book when I was wee.