Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cream cheese braid recipe

This is the dough recipe I used (it was a bigger recipe than I needed so I had to shrink it, if the measurements are weird to you...too bad!) -

2 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. Mix for 5 minutes. (Do not add water or flour to the dough after it has finished mixing.)

For the braid it doesn't need to rise.

roll the dough onto a cookie sheet, cut 1 inch slits all the way down both sides 1/3 of the way in. (so there's a good solid chink in the middle to spread the filling.)

spread 4 oz softened cream cheese on the middle section sprinkle (liberally!) with brown sugar and cinnamon. Criss cross the strips to cover the filling and give it the braided look.
pinch the ends shut and brush a beaten egg white over it.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

And enjoy.

You're welcome!

2 comments:

Rebecca Blevins said...

The only part that has me wondering is the "2 TBS cup of sugar". Is that 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons? Or only 2 Tbs or 2 cups?

Confused.

Kizzie said...

sorry! I fixed the recipe!!