Thursday, March 03, 2011

our reader

Avery has known the alphabet and the sounds that each letter makes for quite a while, we just haven't really sat down much to teach him to read. For Christmas we got him a Dick and Jane book, he likes it and it's pretty simple but there are still lots of silent letters that confuse him, as well as mixing short and long letter sounds. Every time I ask him if he wants to read it he would get a little grumpy and say it was too hard.

I heard about the Bob Books and was able to borrow some from my sister-in-law. Avery's first time looking at them was this morning, he sat down and read the first book. Alone. It was awesome. Then he picked up three more after that and read them, too. It was so cool, he needed help with some things at first, but he just took off and loved it.
I can't believe how big and smart he's getting, he can also write all of our names along with last name, all the numbers. He loves having me write something and then copying it, he catches onto things so quickly it's amazing.
Kindergarten registration starts in 3 weeks, I just can't believe he's actually starting school this year. I thought I'd have a lot more time before that happened, isn't he still a baby?! I know he'll love it though, it's me I'm worried about! :)

1 comment:

Sasha said...

Yay Avery! Good job!