Every year on Christmas Eve my family gathers at my parents house. We eat food, visit, sometimes we play games, sing songs and we open presents. For as long as I can remember we've coordinated Christmas clothes. Sometimes we'll pick a color and everyone shops for or sews their outfits, sometimes someone has found a pattern and we all get new homemade dresses. The boys often get matching vests or ties and pretty often parents (ok, the moms) will find matching clothes for the cousins. Needless to say on Christmas Eve we have to keep the kids clothes clean through it all so we can get our big family picture.
It's a big deal, but as you can imagine with near 50 (maybe we're past 50?) people in the family it gets harder each year to do all that.
So...this year we decided to go a different route. I suggested something more...low key? My inspiration was this sweater Josiah gave to me a couple years ago. We talked a few people into it and it took off from there. It was possibly the best Christmas Eve ever.
The Goodwill store was very good to our family this year, pretty sure it provided most of our outfits. I made Avery and Jack's pants out of a table cloth, and added triangles to Andy's pant legs from the same fabric. It was pretty hilarious to see everyone get into the spirit of retro/nasty. We had big bangs, side pony tails, penny loafers, bell bottoms, greasy facial hair, big belt buckles, ugly sweaters, men wearing women's clothing, suits (well, really just one) that made us all uncomfortable, broaches, sandals with white socks...it was great. And, no one cared if the kids messed up their clothes before the pictures!!
2 comments:
Brilliant. We are suppose to do pictures at the july reunion and each family is a different solid color. I'm dreading it. We're the last to choose so there's like pink, purple and orange left. So excited for those photos. Maybe, I'll wear stripes just to make people mad.
These pictures crack me up! They'll be a blessing to me all year long. I can't wait to put family pictures on my wall. ;)
Thanks, Kizzie. It WAS really fun and relaxing.
Post a Comment