Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fun Provo Church Memories

Since we've been married, we've been in 4 different wards. People always say weird/unexpected things in church, but we've had a few experiences that take the cake. Here are our top 4... 1 from each ward. Enjoy.

#4. Faulty History - On Easter 2005, we were fairly new in our 2nd ward. One lady got up in Sacrament meeting and started her talk about Easter/the Atonement/etc. She started her talk by saying that the atonement occurred "exactly" 2000 years ago. I remember thinking, "seriously... exactly 2000 years ago." Obviously, 2000 years is an adequate approximation. However, she really emphasized "exactly." I'm not a history master... but I'm thinking that's not quite right.

#3. The man crush - It is typical for young couples to introduce themselves, how they met, etc when giving talks in a new ward. One man was doing this and said his wife was one of his friend/roommate's sisters, and that she looks just like him. He said that his other friends would often tease him, likening it to the time on Seinfeld when George was teased for having a man-crush on Jerry when dating the she-Jerry. Man-crush is not a term frequently heard over the pulpit.

#2. Boldness - In another ward, we had a very young and bold Bishop that we really liked. He was never afraid of telling it like it is, which we always really liked. In this ward, there was also an older man, who was the bishop prior to this Bishop. He was always one to comment and make his opinion known... often to an annoying level. One fast Sunday, he got up and spewed out a long travel-log about fishing with an inactive grandson, and things of this nature. Then he discussed the need to respect the church building; all of this is just fine. He mentioned that this inactive grandson had a hard time at church because of all of the noise. He went on to tell all of the young parents, essentially, to keep their kids quiet so everyone else can have the peace and quiet, feel the spirit, etc... and that all of the noise (not just crying/screaming) is distracting; then he ended his testimony. Our Bishop got up immediately after this testimony to rebut some of his comments. He said that the former Bishop has a good heart, but seems to be having a hard time adjusting to his new role. He went on to tell us all about how loved all of the children are, and that we want everyone (including our children) to be in our meetings. We just thought it was funny how incredibly bold he was.

#1: Polygamy - This one, at least for me, takes the cake. In our 1st ward, one Sunday, a new young couple spoke in Sacrament meeting. They were both about 18-19, and just newly married. The girl was a convert of just a year or two... and her talk will go down in infamy. I believe it was around 24th of July, and the topic was pioneers. She spoke for a while about challenges faced by the pioneers. At one point, she said "Sisters, look at your husband. Isn't he wonderful? Don't you just love him so much? Now, turn to another sister sitting nearby. Can you imagine sharing your husband with her?" Seriously? In Sacrament Meeting? It's fun to remember though.

I am interested to hear of other unique experiences you all may have had in church. - Andy

7 comments:

bedelia said...

sharing husbands...yeah, that's weird. I think I would have started laughing out loud.

Anyways, I don't remember much because I was a kid. There was a weird lady who had funny princess lei type braids who always gave false doctrine testimonies. For instance, Paul appeared to her in vision and told her to wear her hair the way she did. She would also call our house to talk to my oldest sister and tell her that she had a vision that her son and my sister should be married. My grandpa was the bishop at the time and I remember he had to get up, interrupt her, ask her to sit down and then tell the congregation she was basically crazy.

Chiemi said...

Wow. You have been in some crazy wards!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! The dueling bishops story is crazy! I'm the type of person who gets embarrassed for other people, so I probably would've had to leave the room during those speeches! Lol.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...I have too many stories!!! But I'll never forget the Branch President being called off the stand to end a cat fight going on in the hallway, that involved throwing hymn books. :)

The Bears said...

We had an older hispanic man that would cross himself (like Catholics do... not sure what it's called) after he took the Sacrament.

We also had a lady give her testimony about knowing her ex- husband was going to hell.

MaRilla said...

Love it Andy. thanks for sharing

Phogles said...

holy cow....no, nothing that amazing comes to mind. But now you have me thinking...