Read all of Andy's "Our Modest Beginnings" posts here
Dates:
Alright, here are a few of our common date nights while we were extra poor. Interesting how we still do a bunch of these.
#5: Nicklecade - There is a really cool arcade in Orem where it costs a nickle or 3 to play the games. This is always fun, especially all of the racing games, skee-ball, and air hockey. We went again a couple weeks ago for the first time since Avery was born. Still fun, and it cost us all of $10.
#4: Dollar Theater - We love the dollar theater. Who would want to pay $5 (or especially whatever the evening price is... what $7-8?) when there is a $1 theater. We don't go very much anymore, unless someone stays with the boys (we're too big of chickens to try and take the boys to a movie... I'm not sure why). It just requires a little patience to wait for the good shows to come.
#3: Burger King - Our first apartment was a couple blocks from a Burger King that had $0.59 cheeseburgers after 4:00 PM. Ya... that was awesome. We would frequently dig through our pockets and couch cushions (seriously... we did), find $2.50 or so, and go for a little walk. Why don't they have $0.59 cheeseburgers anymore? Geez.
#2: Sampler Platter - This is what we'd do when we wanted to be big spenders. We'd go to Applebees or Chile's and get their sampler platter (usually around $10), and just share that for dinner. That way, we got to feel like we were going out and getting served... and did it cheaply.
#1: Monkey game - This is about the coolest game ever, and completely free. I learned it from a friend when I was going to Missouri Western before my mission. For those of you unfamiliar, the basics of the game are as follows. You go to Walmart, and then you go to the toy section and grab a stuffed monkey (if monkeys are not available, I've also used pillows, granny underwear, and canned hams... the sky's the limit!). Once you have your ammo, you must find your target. You look for an unsuspecting person pushing (or abandoning) their cart. When the opportunity arises, you sneak your monkey into the cart and then walk away, and don't turn back. Best case scenario, you can circle around and watch the person's response (people get really confused... and sometimes they even swear! woohoo). It is especially fun to hit the same cart several times. However, on more than one occasion, I got caught and they made me take it back. Give it a try.
3 comments:
Andy, I have never heard of the monkey game, but now that I have I believe I could spend hours doing that. If it weren't a violation of the code on public bubble space I might even push doing it for a combined activity.
As I remember, the local Walmart discontinued carrying monkeys because of you guys! That was so funny.
I love funny stuff like the monkey game.... I'm going to have to try it.
Post a Comment